Inside: When you want some concepts for sweet options for Halloween, this listing of non-food Halloween treats offers you 61 issues to get you began. In addition, these are 61 non-candy Halloween treats that youngsters will truly like!
By Erin Odom, The Humbled Homemaker creator & licensed Trim Wholesome Mama coach
Earlier than our daughter was identified with meals allergy symptoms, I by no means gave a second thought to what treats individuals gave out to trick-or-treaters on Halloween.
Even then, we nonetheless didn’t actually put a lot thought into what sweet or treats we gave out to neighborhood youngsters. We checked by our daughter’s sweet, however that was so far as we received.
As our children have grown older–and we’ve change into a little wiser–ha!–we’ve additionally change into more and more involved in regards to the quantity of sugar and different components in most Halloween treats and in sweet usually. With that in thoughts, I decided 4 explanation why sticking to giving out sweet options for Halloween could be helpful in your complete neighborhood:
Causes to Keep away from Sweet and Meals Treats on Halloween
1. Specializing in non-food gadgets at Halloween helps households keep away from meals allergy symptoms.
Across the time when our personal youngsters’ meals allergy symptoms triggered our household to start out paying extra consideration to Halloween treats, we heard in regards to the Teal Pumpkin Challenge, an initiative to supply sweet options for Halloween.
The whole function of the Teal Pumpkin Challenge is to supply non-food goodies. My kids are solely delicate to meals containing gluten, however I do know of others who’ve a number of meals allergy symptoms and must keep away from sweet all collectively.
Specializing in non-food treats at Halloween makes households of youngsters with meals allergy symptoms really feel accepted and regarded, and it permits these mother and father to breathe an indication of aid once they see a teal pumpkin on a entrance porch as a result of they know their kids can benefit from the festivities with out risking a gentle and even extreme allergic response to what’s contained in the sweet.
2. Selecting sweet options at Halloween permits households to chop down on sugar consumption.
We sometimes observe the 80/20 rule relating to stuff like this: eat wholesome 80% (or extra) of the time and permit unhealthy treats every so often.
Halloween falls into that class. We enable our kids to simply accept sweet from neighbors this evening. However, as we found sweet options handy out, it turned even simpler to keep away from an excessive amount of sugar at Halloween.
It’s no secret that overconsumption of sugar can result in insulin resistance, pre-diabetes, and kind 2 diabetes. Research level to a excessive consumption of added sugars as being a predictor of childhood weight problems as nicely.
Selecting to bless your neighborhood kids with non-candy treats at Halloween does somewhat bit to assist minimize down on their sugar consumption. I can guarantee you that almost all of their mother and father will thanks for sticking to non-food gadgets that don’t add to the sugar rush.
Associated: Not-So-Pure Reactions to Pure Meals Colours
3. Giving out non-food gadgets at Halloween helps households keep away from unhealthy meals dyes.
There are growing research with alarming proof that meals dyes can have an effect on kids’s conduct.
It makes me surprise: Sugar has taken the blame for post-Halloween hyperactivity all of those years. However may it actually be that meals components, equivalent to meals dyes, are the true wrongdoer? Absolutely so–when even pure meals colorings could cause not-so-natural reactions amongst these delicate to them.
Sticking to non-food gadgets at Halloween will assist households keep away from the unhealthy meals dyes which may be wreaking havoc on their youngsters’ post-Halloween moods.
4. Handing out sweet options at Halloween helps mother and father with the post-candy crash.
When you’re a mum or dad, it’s possible you’ll relate to the sensation of “what am I going to do with all this sweet” after Halloween is over. Sure, there’s typically a crash in kids’s conduct (see data on meals dyes above!), however the post-candy crash also can come within the type of sweet muddle strewn throughout your home.
We dwell in a neighborhood with 111 properties (which is a small subdivision for our space), and my youngsters typically come residence after trick or treating with sweet to final them months! Besides–it doesn’t final them months! They beg and plead (and, sure, generally sneak) the sweet on the every day, extending any behavioral meltdowns and sugar consumption far past the precise night of October 31.
There are applications like dentist and orthodontist buy-backs, navy and first responder donations, and a few mother and father have even been recognized to stash away extra Halloween sweet to make use of for his or her youngsters’ Valentine’s playing cards, but when your youngsters are something like mine, it may be a battle.
By sticking to sweet options at Halloween, you’re serving to fellow mother and father the necessity to eradicate the surplus sweet from their properties all collectively (though the navy and first responder donation drive does appear to be a very enjoyable service undertaking to do along with your youngsters!).
The aim of the Teal Pumpkin Challenge is to supply non-food gadgets.
So for the previous couple of years, now we have handed out sweet options in our neighborhood, and it has been met with nothing however acceptance. We do nonetheless supply some sweet choices as nicely, however we’ve been pleasantly stunned that many youngsters select the non-food gadgets.
When you simply can’t hand over handing out a candy deal with as nicely (which is completely superb), then I’d counsel looking for issues which have as few allergens and synthetic meals dyes as attainable (in comparison with conventional sweet). You’ll want to learn all labels fastidiously, however a few choices our children get pleasure from embrace:
- YumEarth Natural Lollipops (citric acid could possibly be from corn, so beware for these with corn allergy symptoms)
- Black Forest Natural Fruit Snacks (citric acid could possibly be from corn)
- Honey Sticks (favor native however these can be good in a pinch)
- Apples (or different fruit–however apples appear to be a standard fruit at Halloween if you happen to consider apple dunking!)
- Popcorn (once more, watch out for corn allergy symptoms!)
61 Sweet Options for Halloween
- Bouncy balls – Severely, what child doesn’t love a very good bouncy ball? I’m fairly positive that my youngsters like to gather them. I wish to get the jumbo ones to keep away from choking hazards.
- Glow Sticks– Simply watch out as a result of glow sticks can break, and the liquid inside can spill out.
- Enjoyable erasers – You’ll be able to’t go improper with a enjoyable eraser.
- Spider rings – For some motive, these little issues nonetheless appear to be so common. Children love them.
- Stacking Pencils – You already know those the place you pull out the little white cartridge and put it again within the prime to push down a brand new lead? These have been so common after I was a child within the 80s and 90s, they usually’ve made a comeback! Or simply attempt common pencils. That is normally one among our go-to treats as a result of they’re so sensible. Children all the time want pencils, and yow will discover some enjoyable ones.
- Stacking crayon pens – Bear in mind these? You’ll be able to change the colour of the crayon. A lot enjoyable.
- Bubbles – The party-size bubbles such as you discover at weddings or different occasions would work nice.
- Mini Slinkies – What child doesn’t like slinkies? They make for a very enjoyable, old-school fidget.
- Kazoos – Dad and mom will love you for this one! Ha!
- Toy Medals – Greatest Costume of the Night goes to…!
- Finger puppets – Assist imaginative play with some finger puppets.
- Rings – Add some bling to their night with a gemstone or flashing ring.
- Cash – Argh! What child doesn’t love some pirate booty? These are successful with my son!
- Mini Notebooks – My ladies love utilizing little notepads for writing or drawing.
- Stickers – These are the type that youngsters normally get on the physician’s workplace with all of the enjoyable characters. They arrive in packs of 100!
- Stencils – I keep in mind having one among these stencil rulers as a child and used it ceaselessly when drawing.
- Rainbow Scratch Paper – You may get a bundle of those papers the place the youngsters scratch their designs. I beloved these after I was a child!
- Mini Collectible figurines – There are a ton of choices for mini figures, starting from dinosaurs to generic constructing brick figures to livestock.
- Slap Bracelets– Bear in mind these? My ladies completely love these! Lengthy dwell the 80s!
- Sticky Mustaches – Get a pack of them and minimize them into particular person mustaches. Certain to be successful!
- Spinning Tops – Generally probably the most staple items could be a lot enjoyable.
- Glider Planes – These are a lot enjoyable to toss and make them do methods.
- Punch Balloons – Blow them up and punch till their hearts are content material. All you hear is Growth. Growth. Growth.
- Sticky Arms – Children like to see how far they’ll stretch these and what they’ll seize.
- Felt Superhero Masks – Felt masks can be a brilliant hit for all the youngsters. My son loves these. We handed them out at Halloween final 12 months, and he nonetheless performs along with his ceaselessly. They’ve, surprisingly, held up very nicely!
- Non permanent Tattoos – One factor I actually love about these is that they don’t produce junk! As soon as they put on off (otherwise you assist your kiddo wash them off), they’re gone for good and don’t muddle up your private home!
- Bracelets – I personally just like the popping ones as a result of they’ll second as a fidget!
- Swords – The froth ones are my fave. No danger of anybody getting harm!
- Mini Coloring Books – These are nice for tossing into your purse or diaper bag to take into eating places, which oldsters will respect!
- Mini Packs of Crayons – An ideal factor to pair with the mini coloring books!
- Packs of Mini Slime – My youngsters, even my teen daughters, completely love slime. You’ll be the preferred neighbor within the neighborhood if you happen to give these out! Now, whether or not or not the mother and father will nonetheless love you’ll depend upon if the youngsters preserve the slime off the carpet! Ha!
- Mini Puzzles – I like the clean ones as a result of youngsters can draw on them to make their very own puzzles!
- Lip Balm – These are successful with teen ladies. I don’t learn about you, however I’m all for youngsters nonetheless having enjoyable on Halloween!
- Foolish Straws – I additionally love that these are sensible too!
- Foolish Putty – It’s just like the “slime” of the 80s!
- Silk Scarves – Whether or not used for interpretive dance or taking part in dress-up, these scarves can foster a lot creativity!
- Mini Block Units – No, they’re not so good as the LEGO model, but when youngsters love constructing, these little units have enormous attraction!
- Packs of Mini Foolish String – That is one thing youngsters may play with outside whereas trick-or-treating!
- Stringy Balls – Stringy or spikey balls are calming for kiddos with sensory points.
- Stretchy Males – Additionally referred to as “wall hangers,” I keep in mind getting these as cereal field prizes after I was a child!
- Bookmarks – For the bookworms within the neighborhood!
- Sticky Arms – Just like stretchy males, youngsters love tossing these onto partitions!
- Mini Markers – A substitute for mini crayons!
- Mini Packs of Kinetic Sand – These are nice for youths who’re constructing superb motor abilities, however older youngsters love kinetic sand as nicely!
- Rubrics Cubes – I’m all the time stunned at how a lot my youngsters love these. I used to be by no means in a position to clear up them after I was a child!
- Fidget Spinners – These are nice to burn off any additional power!
- Pc/Water Bottle Stickers – These are successful amongst older youngsters!
- Patches – I like to recommend the iron-on or, higher but, the stick-on patches. Children love to brighten their backpacks with these.
- Mini Vehicles – Vroom Vroom!
- Mini Books – Good for dollhouses!
- Mini Chalk Units – Who doesn’t love sidewalk chalk?
- Mini Squishy Toys – My youngsters are obsessed with squishy toys!
- Fidget Snake Cubes – These are like a enjoyable puzzle!
- Keychains – Nice for older youngsters who love utilizing these as backpack zipper pulls!
- Scrunchies – Good for the ladies within the hood!
- Mini Exercise Books – One other nice one for folks to toss into their purses and diaper baggage to take into eating places, church, and so forth.!
- Mini Recreation Boards – Love the Tic Tac Toe one I linked to!
- Mini Magnetic Drawing Boards – Good for highway journeys!
- Sensory Tubes – One other sort of fidget!
- Invisible Ink Pens – My youngsters are obsessive about writing “secret” messages with these!
- Glowing Helicopters – Successful with girls and boys alike and such a factor to do on Halloween evening as soon as it will get darkish!
When you can’t determine, you’ll be able to all the time go along with the 100 piece Terrific Toy Assortment!
This listing is comprised of just some concepts that you would use to supply sweet options for Halloween trick-or-treating. The chances are countless, and the costs are sometimes corresponding to what you’d spend on sweet.
Notice: Our household likes to give attention to the enjoyable of dressing up and being neighborly on Halloween. We don’t like give attention to something scary, as that could be a private conviction of ours. Thus, I’ve prevented non-food treats like vampire enamel, skeletons, Halloween-themed sticker or Halloween-themed pencils (which usually include scary icons on them), ghosts, witches, skulls, frankenstein, zombies, and so forth.
Need extra of my vacation content material + extra suggestions and methods for operating a house, mothering, and cultivating a healthful life with out turning into overwhelmed?
Join my e-newsletter HERE, and I’ll ship you a FREE vacation menu planner printable straight away!
Steps to get it:
- Join my e-newsletter HERE.
- Print out the menu planner & begin planning your vacation meals!
What are a few of your concepts for sweet options at Halloween?
It’s also possible to take a look at how Christians can redeem Halloween right here: